How we generate and how we use electricity are equally important. When our buildings are more efficient, we need to produce less energy. The less energy we need, the less we use, and the better it is for the environment. Transforming buildings to be more energy efficient can play a major role in reducing the impact of climate change. San Mateo County and the Office of Sustainability offer a range of tools, assistance programs and resources to help everyone in the County work together to use energy wisely and reduce our climate impact.
BayREN – Energy Efficiency Upgrades for Property Owners
The Bay Area Regional Energy Network (BayREN) is a collaboration of the 9 Bay Area Counties to promote healthy, efficient buildings. The BayREN offers rebates and assistance to homeowners and multi-family property owners for energy-efficient home improvements.
- Single Family Homes: BayRENresidential.org
- Renters and homeowners living in single family homes can receive a free energy efficiency toolkit, rebates and special financing to help save energy, improve indoor air quality and be more comfortable.
- Home Energy Score: To have a building professional visit your home assess your home’s energy use and provide custom recommendations, find a Home Energy Score assessor.
- Looking for a fun way to talk to your child about energy? Check out this Superhero Activity Sheet!
- Multifamily Properties: BayREN.org/multifamily
- Property owners of buildings with 5 or more attached units can receive cash rebates and free energy and water efficiency consulting.
- To get started, express interest through our online form.
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity – Green House Calls
Fill out Rising Sun’s quick survey and receive an energy efficiency kit delivered to your door – all at no cost to you. Kits are available throughout the Bay Area with no income verification required. Within the kit residents will receive the following:
- LED lightbulbs – globes and floods
- Advanced power strips ($70 value)
- Kitchen and sink aerators
- Toilet leak detection dye tabs
- Information about BayREN Home+ program that offers residents up to $5,000 in rebates for home energy improvements
Whether you’re a homeowner or a renter, you can think of these kits as the first step of your residential energy efficiency journey. To start, take the survey online at http://bit.ly/EEkits2021 or at (510) 665-1501 ext. 300 with a trained staff member.
San Mateo County Energy Watch
To access resources for making businesses, schools, and municipal buildings more energy efficient, please visit SMCEnergyWatch.org.
Check-It-Out! Home Energy & Water Saving Toolkit
The Check-It-Out! Home Energy & Water Saving Toolkit is a resource available in libraries in San Mateo County that provides free tools and giveaways so residents can learn about and improve their home’s energy and water efficiency. Reserve a toolkit from your local library.
Peninsula Clean Energy
Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) was launched collaboratively by the County of San Mateo and all twenty of its cities to help the environment through cleaner energy, while helping customers save money through lower rates.
To opt up to 100% renewable energy and learn more, visit: www.PeninsulaCleanEnergy.com
Our program partners offer a suite of resources for San Mateo County residents.
- HomeIntel Program: Offers the HomeIntel’s Smart Audit, a web-based app that analyzes your smart meter data to determine your home’s unique energy profile and creates a custom energy savings plan.
- PG&E’s Energy Savings Assistance Program: Provides no-cost energy audits and technical assistance; visit the website or call 800-989-9744 to learn more.
- PACE Financing: Provides an affordable, long-term financing option that is repaid on your property taxes; visit the website to learn more.
- Rebuilding Together Peninsula: Provides home renovation and repair services for vulnerable residents; visit the website to learn more.
Webinar : A VIRTUAL TOUR OF AN ENERGY EFFICIENT SMART HOME
This Virtual Home Tour will introduce you to trending smart home technologies, clean energy options, and complementary rebate and financing programs that San Mateo County residents can utilize to maximize their home’s performance, save energy, lower utility bills, and increase home comfort and indoor air quality.
EV Charge Up! The County’s Electric Vehicle Charging Program
Visit our EV Charge Up! program page to learn about the public EV charging stations provided by the County.