*Registration NOW Live! See link below
The Sustainability Academy’s Master Compost and Solid Waste Course is a no-cost 6-week, in-class course that is intended for individuals without prior composting experience. All composting experience levels are welcome, but students without prior composting experience will benefit most from the class. The course is a mixture of lecture and hands-on learning, with an emphasis on interactivity to teach concrete composting skills. The class provides students:
- In-depth knowledge of backyard and vermi (worm) composting
- An understanding of soil biodiversity and all the benefits of adding compost to your soil
- An overview of solid waste reduction practices
- Communication, leadership, and instruction skills you can use to educate others how to compost
We have a travel stipend program available to those for whom traveling to class poses a financial hardship. Translators will be available to students who wish to attend the course, but who do not speak English.
If you need ADA accommodations, please contact us at least five (5) business days prior to the first class you will be attending.
For any other accessibility needs and requests, please contact Avana Andrade at at 650.599.1459 or at email@example.com.
THE GOAL OF THIS COURSE
- HAVE FUN – Make friends and new connections with a common interest, and join us for Academy volunteer appreciation events!
- GET INVOLVED – Learn cutting-edge resource conservation techniques and theory from local sustainability experts, and learn what you can do to empower yourself and others to promote these activities.
- GIVE BACK – Educate your friends, neighbors, kids, teachers, and community on the value of conserving resources!
IMPORTANT COURSE ELEMENTS
- Each student will receive either a backyard hot composting bin or a worm bin on the first night of class. This bin is provided to you at no charge as part of the program. It is our expectation that all students will begin the composting process immediately after receiving their bin of choice, and will continue to actively compost throughout and after class.
- After the completion of the course, we require that you volunteer 40 hours of your time using the skills that you learned in the class to promote sustainability in your communities. Volunteering can be completed with the Office of Sustainability, with a third-party organization, or with a DIY creative project. All volunteering must be completed in San Mateo County within one year of course completion.
- For those participants that attend and complete at least 5 out of 6 classes, you will each get a “goodie bag” full of fun and useful resource conserving tools that you can use at home and at work, as a congratulatory gift for successfully completing the course!
- Once you complete both the course and the required volunteer hours, you will receive a certificate of completion as recognition of your commitment to sustainability and your community.
- You must be 14 years or older to attend the classes.
- Priority will be given to San Mateo County community members, specifically those who live, work and go to school in San Mateo County.
- If you need ADA accommodations, please contact us at least five (5) business days prior to the first class you will be attending.
COURSE SCHEDULE & VENUE
Dates: Feb 5, Feb 12, Feb 19, Feb 26, Mar 4, Mar 11
Time: 6:00 – 9:00 pm
Location: San Mateo County Center, Room 101, 455 County Center, Redwood City 94063
INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN THIS MASTER COURSE?
Register HERE by January 23rd!
*A travel stipend is available for those for whom traveling to class poses a financial hardship. See registration link above for more information.
Questions? Contact Academy Coordinator, Avana Andrade at firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 599-1459