Green Municipal Fleet Toolkit
For San Mateo County jurisdictions interested in upgrading their fleet of vehicles, the Office of Sustainability has partnered with Peninsula Clean Energy to offer a comprehensive program to assist with:
- Identifying opportunities for fleet vehicle transitions;
- Installing electric vehicle (EV) charging stations;
- Purchasing various types of EVs including passenger vehicles, patrol vehicles, trucks, and motorcycles;
- Leveraging policies, processes and best practices from jurisdictions leading the way;
- Implementing a suite of sustainable fleet practices including right sizing, fleet management, bicycles, and carpooling/sharing;
- Additional requests that your staff has to meet your fleet, budget and climate action goals.
The Green Municipal Fleet Toolkit is flexible and caters to your jurisdiction’s specific needs. It’s designed to address the diverse interests, vehicle use types, and varying levels of infrastructure that can make going electric and greening a fleet challenging. This program is not a rebate or cash incentive program, but offers Office of Sustainability staff time, expertise and customized support.
To learn more and express interest in technical assistance from the Office of Sustainability, please complete our Interest Form.
The next steps for after you submit the Interest Form are as follows:
- County staff will reach out to you within 3 business days after reviewing your survey answer with additional questions or with a meeting request.
- After fully understanding your fleet needs, the County will either:
- Provide technical support to help you use your fleet data to create a comprehensive fleet transition plan
- Recommend funding programs and support your jurisdiction with applications
- We anticipate that assistance to your jurisdiction will be ongoing through the end of 2019. Fleet transitions are not an overnight process.
If you are interested in learning more about what greening your fleet entails, we have collated resources for San Mateo County jurisdictions:
- Determine the actual cost of owning and running a vehicle in your fleet by finding out the lifecycle cost of different makes and models. EVs may cost more upfront, but can have tremendous savings in fueling and maintenance. Start to understand the economics using this handy calculator: https://www.automotive-fleet.com/vehicle-research/lifecycle
- Check out funding through the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (navigating these funding sources will be a part of our technical assistance): http://www.baaqmd.gov/?sc_itemid=D9241D1A-189A-4030-B834-56947EBA8467
- Understand how your fleet telematic data can help you prioritize which vehicles to transition and where to site EV charging infrastructure (we will help your jurisdiction in becoming engaged with the Electrification Coalition to take advantage of their programs): https://www.electrificationcoalition.org/
- Review two excellent primers for fleet managers on electrifying fleets from the Bay Area Climate Collaborative:
- Ready, Set, Charge, Fleets, a comprehensive guide on EV fleet deployment strategies: https://www.prospectsv.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Ready-Set-Charge-Fleets-EV-Fleet-Guide.pdf
- Prospect Silicon Valley and Alameda County General Services Agency Addendum to Ready, Set, Charge, Fleets: https://prospectsv.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Preparing-for-Mass-Deployment-of-EVs.pdf
- Learn about fueling heavy duty vehicles and how to address diesel gasoline: http://altfueltoolkit.org/learning-from-the-california-experience-toolkit/
- See what EV programs Peninsula Clean Energy has for your community to take advantage of: https://www.peninsulacleanenergy.com/electric-vehicles/
Please do not be overwhelmed by the amount of programs and information available to local governments. The Office of Sustainability has synthesized the above resources and can package them for your fleet operations. Let us know how we can help you by filling out our Interest Form.
If you would like to connect with us first, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org