Information for the Public
The purpose of the County of San Mateo’s Disposable Food Service Ware Ordinance (Ordinance) is to:
REDUCE SINGLE-USE PLASTICS AND OTHER FOODWARE WASTE
Improve health and safety of our community members
Keep our waterways clean and safe
What YOU can do to be part of this important effort!
- Understand what the new Ordinance requires (Spanish translation).
- Request disposable accessories like straws, stirrers, napkins, and condiment packets only when absolutely needed.
- Take only what you really need at self-serve stations and dispensers.
- Bring and use your own reusables (utensils, straws, to-go mugs, leftover containers, etc.) instead of single-use disposables.
- Properly sort and dispose of foodware (check your local recycling and composting hauler/facility’s guidelines).
- Make sure your favorite restaurants and other food facilities are in compliance with the Ordinance (let us know if they aren’t). See our main page for the dates and areas in San Mateo County where the Ordinance will be enforced.