Small Business Resource Center
Welcome to the Small Business Resource Center! This page provides resources that aim to help your business thrive. Read on to learn more about reducing your energy and resource consumption, becoming a certified green business, and funding and financing opportunities for future projects.
Green Business Program
The Office of Sustainability certifies and promotes small to medium-sized businesses that operate in an environmentally-responsible manner through the San Mateo County Green Business Program. By offering technical assistance and resources, the County helps local businesses save money by teaching them how to conserve energy and water, minimize waste, prevent pollution, and shrink their carbon footprints.
- Save money on energy and water bills
- Apply for financial incentives of $500-$1000 to work towards certification if you qualify
- Free marketing and inclusion in the Shop Green App for Certified Businesses
SMC Energy Watch
SMCEW assists local governments, schools, non-profits, and small businesses in accessing energy efficiency programs, trade professionals, and financing opportunities. SMCEW provides coordination, outreach, referrals, and educational resources to help community members pursue energy efficiency projects.
- Energy benchmarking to help qualifying small businesses identify opportunities to save energy and money
- We connect you with programs, contractors, and financing options for the implementation of energy efficiency projects
- 0% Interest Loans for $5,000 and above through PG&E
BayREN Business provide rebates, financing, and one-stop-shop technical assistance to ensure small and medium businesses can leverage all available energy saving programs. During this unprecedented time, our goal is to support the resilience of your businesses by lowering energy and maintenance costs while improving the look and feel of your facility.
- Incentives for lighting, HVAC, refrigeration, and more based on energy savings over time
- Pay-for-Performance building management services
- Turn-key program: Free energy assessment and project management
- 0% Interest Loans under $2,500 through Mission Asset Fund
Food Service Ware Program
The Office of Sustainability (OOS) worked with Clean Water Fund’s ReThink Disposable Program staff to complete a successful pilot project that helped San Mateo County food establishments switch from single-use disposable food ware to reusable food ware. The ReThink Disposable program will continue to be available to food establishments in San Mateo County as part of the OOS’ new food ware program that recently launched at the end of 2020.
The County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors adopted the Disposable Food Service Ware Ordinance (Ordinance) on February 25, 2020. This Ordinance aims to regulate and reduce the amount of disposable food service ware that is used by food facilities in unincorporated areas of San Mateo County. Please click here for additional information on the Ordinance.
- Free technical and financial assistance to switch to reusable food service ware
Recycling and Composting Program
Collection – Reduce your business’ waste by recycling. Check our hauler map for more information about which services are available in your area.
Start a Recycling Program – It’s easy to start a recycling program at work! Over 75% items that are thrown away at work could be recycled. See below for some of the tools that the Office of Sustainability can provide. If you’d like to have assistance getting a program set up, please contact your local hauler or give us a call at 1(888)442-2666 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to start a recycling program document
- Announcement and reminder memos
- Resources page with posters and publications
Peninsula Clean Energy EV Ready Program
Peninsula Clean Energy offers free technical assistance for your EV charging project via its program partner, CLEAResult. For eligible projects, CLEAResult will provide project scope and design, helping to minimize cost and maximizing value.
In addition to free technical assistance, you may also benefit from lower pricing on EV charging stations. Preferred pricing will only be available to program participants.
- Free technical assistance for EV charging projects
- Access to negotiated EV charging station pricing
- A responsive network of local contractors to install your charging ports
FUNDING & FINANCING
|Green Business Program||$500-$1,000 Rebate for purchases made to support certification|
|SMC Energy Watch||0% Interest on loans greater than $5,000; On-Bill-Financing for loan repayment|
|BayREN Business||0% Interest on loans less than $2,500 via Mission Asset Fund|
|Peninsula Clean Energy EV Ready||Learn about EV charger offerings here|
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS?
Fill out our Small Business Intake form to learn more about program offerings and support. A program representative will be in touch shortly, or you are welcome to call our hotline at +1(628)222-3034 to speak with someone during standard business hours.