Providing alternative commute options for County of San Mateo employees to reduce their carbon footprint and local traffic impacts. Learn more on our Commute Alternatives Program website.
SMC Commuter Bus
We launched the San Mateo County Commuter Bus pilot program to contribute to reducing local traffic and improving air quality in the Bay Area. The Commuter Bus takes County of San Mateo employees to and from the San Mateo Medical Center, 2000 Alameda de las Pulgas, and County Government Center during commute hours. This pilot program is funded by subsidies from the Commute Alternatives Program, the General Fund, and employee contributions.
- The Harbor Blvd campus in Belmont has been added to the East Bay to County Center route! This means that our fellow employees working at Harbor and living in the East Bay can now take advantage of the SMC Commuter Bus! The pickup location will be the entrance to Building E at 310 Harbor Blvd., Belmont, CA., and the new route schedules will be as follows:
- AM Routes: Hayward Amtrak 5:55 AM & 6:25 AM; Hayward BART 6:00 AM& 6:30 AM; Harbor Blvd 6:40 AM & 7:15 AM; County Center 6:55 AM & 7:30 AM
- PM Routes: County Center 4:35 PM & 5:15 PM; Harbor Blvd 4:55 PM & 5:35 PM; Hayward BART 6:10 PM & 7:05 PM; Hayward Amtrak 6:15 & 7:10 PM
- North County to County Center: Due to extremely low daily ridership, the routes departing at 7:35 AM and 6:45 PM will be discontinued. Funding for these routes will be reallocated to expand service on routes with increasing ridership.
- North County to Health System Colma Bart Pickup: For the North County to Health System routes only, Chariot will pick up at the front entrance to the BART Station, along Albert M. Teglia Blvd. Satellite and street view pictures of the exact location will be emailed to riders on the SMC Purple route once confirmed by Chariot.
All County of San Mateo employees (including part-time employees, term employees, interns, and fellows) are eligible to ride the SMC Commuter Bus. Contractors and volunteers are not eligible at this time. As the bus is partly funded by the transit subsidy from the Commute Alternatives Program, those who are currently allocating their transit subsidy to other transit expenses are not eligible to ride the SMC Commuter bus.
Please contact the Commute Alternatives Program for assistance in cancelling previous transit orders.
We’ve added an ADA accessible stop at the 2000 Alameda de las Pulgas, Health System, and San Mateo Medical Center locations, which will be effective beginning March 5, 2018.
If you anticipate that you will need transport in a vehicle that includes a wheelchair lift or ramp, ADA accommodations can be made by contacting the Chariot Customer Service Team at 1-888-735-5079, 48 hours in advance of your first booking.
If you have a qualifying disability and need further accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (650) 599-1480.
Register and Book
- Create an account with Chariot, either through Chariot’s mobile app or through their website.
- Call Chariot immediately after creating your account to verify your registration at 888-735-5079*
- Purchase a pass or use the free, one-week trial pass.
- Book a seat within 30-45 minutes of scheduled departure.
For complete instructions on how to register an account with Chariot, as well as how to pay for the commuter bus and book your seat, please refer to these instructions.
*Please note this step is required for all County employees, as the verification email from Chariot will directly be sent to the “Clutter” inbox.
There are multiple options for employee to choose from:
- $50 Monthly Pass: Unlimited rides for the month for which it is purchased.*
- $25 10-ride Pack: Covers 10 one-way trips and does not expire.
- $2.50 single ride
New shuttle users can enter the promo code SMCTRAVEL to access their free, one-week trial pass.
*Please note: The monthly pass will be prorated from the selected start date, and is based on a 30 day time frame. The monthly pass price will vary slightly for months less than and greater than 30 days. (E.g. January=31 days=$50.99)
All shuttles are equipped with Wi-Fi and a bike rack. ADA accommodations can be made with 48-hour notice.
Routes and Schedules
Chariot will provide service Monday through Friday, except on County holidays. Please click HERE for a list of County observed holidays.
Chariot is continuously collecting ridership data and feedback on these routes, and organizing it for us. We are excited to receive this data from Chariot so that we can continue to improve commuter bus schedules and distribute our buses where they are most needed. Our highest priorities are safety, and accommodating as many employees as possible through this program.
Pickup and drop-off location photos are available here.
SMC Yellow: San Mateo County East Bay to Health System (AM)
|Hayward Amtrak||Hayward BART||San Mateo Medical Center||Health System||1900 Alameda de las Pulgas||2000 Alameda de las Pulgas|
|5:43 AM||5:48 AM||6:18 AM||6:22 AM||6:30 AM||6:32 AM|
|6:03 AM||6:08 AM||6:48 AM||6:52 AM||7:00 AM||7:02 AM|
|6:55 AM||7:00 AM||7:50 AM||7:54 AM||8:04 AM||8:06 AM|
|7:45 AM||7:50 AM||8:50 AM||8:54 AM||9:02 AM||9:04 AM|
SMC Yellow: San Mateo County East Bay to Health System (PM)
|San Mateo Medical Center||Health System||1900 Alameda de las Pulgas||2000 Alameda de las Pulgas||Hayward BART||Hayward Amtrak|
|3:35 PM||3:39 PM||3:47 PM||3:50 PM||4:45 PM||4:50 PM|
|4:35 PM||4:39 PM||4:50 PM||4:52 PM||5:47 PM||5:52 PM|
|5:05 PM||5:09 PM||5:19 PM||5:21 PM||6:17 PM||6:22 PM|
|5:35 PM||5:39 PM||5:50 PM||5:52 PM||6:50 PM||6:55 PM|
SMC Red: San Mateo County East Bay to County Center (AM)**Two Chariots are be available for this route.
|Hayward Amtrak||Hayward BART||County Center|
|5:55** AM||6:00 AM||6:50 AM|
|6:25 AM||6:30 AM||7:20 AM|
SMC Red: San Mateo County East Bay to County Center (PM)**Two Chariots are available for this route.
|County Center||Hayward BART||Hayward Amtrak|
|4:35 PM**||6:00 PM||6:05 PM|
|5:15 PM||6:55 PM||7:00 PM|
SMC Purple: San Mateo County North to Health System (AM)
|87th St & Washington St||Colma BART||San Mateo Medical Center||Health System||1900 Alameda de Las Pulgas||2000 Alameda de las Pulgas|
|5:50 AM||5:55 AM||6:20 AM||6:24 AM||6:34 AM||6:36 AM|
|6:20 AM||6:25 AM||6:50 AM||6:54 AM||7:04 AM||7:06 AM|
|7:03 AM||7:08 AM||7:50 AM||7:54 AM||8:06 AM||8:08 AM|
SMC Purple: San Mateo County North to Health System (PM)
|San Mateo Medical Center||Health System||1900 Alameda de las Pulgas||2000 Alameda de las Pulgas||Colma BART||87th St & Washington St|
|4:05 PM||4:09 PM||4:19 PM||4:21 PM||5:05 PM||5:10 PM|
|4:40 PM||4:44 PM||4:54 PM||4:56 PM||5:41 PM||5:46 PM|
|5:40 PM||5:44 PM||5:54 PM||5:56 PM||6:41 PM||6:46 PM|
SMC Blue: San Mateo County North to County Center (AM)
|87th St & Washington St||Colma BART||North County Courts||County Center|
|6:05 AM||6:10 AM||6:20 AM||6:45 AM|
|6:15 AM||6:20 AM||6:30 AM||6:55 AM|
|6:35 AM||6:40 AM||6:50 AM||7:25 AM|
|6:55 AM||7:00 AM||7:10 AM||7:55 AM|
|----||7:35 AM||7:45 AM||8:30 AM|
SMC Blue: San Mateo County North to County Center (PM)
|County Center||North County Courts||Colma BART||87th St & Washington St|
|4:05 PM||4:50 PM||5:00 PM||5:05 PM|
|4:35 PM||5:40 PM||5:55 PM||6:05 PM|
|5:10 PM||6:05 PM||6:15 PM||6:20 PM|
|5:50 PM||6:45 PM||6:55 PM||7:00 PM|
|6:45 PM||7:30 PM||7:40 PM||7:45 PM|
SMC Green: San Mateo County South Bay (AM)
|Fremont ACE||Ardenwood Park & Ride||County Center||San Mateo Medical Center||Health System||1900 Alameda de las Pulgas||2000 Alameda de las Pulgas|
|6:00 AM||6:15 AM||6:55 AM||7:15 AM||7:19 AM||7:29 AM||7:31 AM|
|6:40 AM||----||7:25 AM||7:45 AM||7:49 AM||7:58 AM||8:00 AM|
SMC Green: San Mateo County South Bay (PM)
|1900 Alameda de las Pulgas||2000 Alameda de las Pulgas||San Mateo Medical Center||Health System||County Center||Ardenwood Park & Ride||Fremont ACE|
|3:40 PM||3:42 PM||3:50 PM||3:54 PM||4:15 PM||5:05 PM||5:30 PM|
|4:30 PM||4:32 PM||4:40 PM||4:44 PM||5:05 PM||6:05 PM||6:20 PM|
We value all feedback, including comments, questions, and suggestions. Contact us at email@example.com to make suggestions about the commuter bus schedules and routes.
Contact Chariot to provide comments and suggestions about the buses, drivers, mobile app, lost items, and user experience. Chariot can be reached via:
- Chariot’s mobile app. Select “Support” function from the Menu. Select “Speak with a Chariot Team Member” to chat live with their support staff.
- Chariot’s website. Select the “Chat” bubble in the lower right corner of their main page to chat live with their support staff.
- Chariot’s Customer Service hotline. Call 1-888-735-5079.
Check out the Chariot FAQ for answers to common questions.