The Office of Sustainability is offering funding assistance to government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and educational institutions (e.g., schools, school/college districts, state university systems, etc.) through the 4Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot – Compost) Grants Program. The 4Rs Grants Program’s objective is to divert waste from being sent to the landfill by financially supporting eligible entities create and implement projects in San Mateo County that focus on the 4Rs – reduce, reuse, recycle, and rot. The program offers two tiers of funding: (1) Mini Grant ($2,000 to $5,000) and (2) Mega Grant (up to $25,000).
Mini Grant: The Mini Grant (for funding requests from $2,000 to $5,000) is available to support and fund small projects that will educate and increase awareness around the 4Rs – including reducing waste, increasing recycling, increasing or implementing composting, and increasing reuse. The Mini Grant is designed to serve a variety of potential applicants who need access to small amounts of funding for a limited time and for a specific purpose.
Mega Grant: The Mega Grant (for funding requests up to $25,000) is available for qualified entities to help initiate or expand innovative programs that promote reuse, waste reduction, recycling, and composting or education about these environmental issues throughout San Mateo County (county-wide focus).
Examples of Grant Projects
- Classroom workshops, trainings, or activities by nonprofits
- School garden start-up funding, which includes funding for garden structures such as sheds and garden beds constructed with salvaged lumber
- Fixit Clinics or other reuse/repair projects
- Food waste reduction and reuse programs
- Materials associated with expanding/implementing a campus/facility-wide recycling, reuse or waste reduction program
- Environmental educational field trips to waste or recycling facilities, museums, etc.
- Books, materials and equipment, which will be utilized by teachers and students over the years
Current Program Year (PY) 2020-2021 Grantees
A total grant amount of $199,615 will be distributed to 6 Mega Grant grantees and 12 Mini Grant grantees between fall 2020 to fall 2021. The list of the current year’s grantees and their projects can be found here. Congratulations to the newest recipients of the 4Rs Grants Program!
Past Years’ Grantees
- PY2018-19 Grantee Snapshot: $200,239 total grant funding, 6 Mega Grants and 10 Mini Grants distributed.
- PY2019-20 Grantee Snapshot: $302,038 total grant funding, 11 Mega Grants and 15 Mini Grants distributed.
Next Grant Cycle Information (PY 2021-22)
The call for applications for the next 4Rs Grants cycle for Program Year 2021-22 is now closed. OOS staff will release information about the new grant recipients mid/end of May 2021. If you submitted an application, you should have received a confirmation email.
Below are the grants guidelines and applications, along with other resources.
- Mega Grant
- Mini Grant
- Q&A (English/Spanish/Chinese)
If you have questions regarding the 4Rs Grants Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-442-2666.